For photos, videos and the Australian Biosecurity Awards visit here.
- Excellence has been recognised at the 2021 Australian Biosecurity Awards.
- The awards celebrate individuals, groups and organisations that are supporting and improving Australia’s biosecurity systems
- We congratulate and thank all winners
Individuals, groups and organisations recognised at this year’s Australian Biosecurity Awards have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to strengthening Australia’s biosecurity system.
Minister for Agriculture and Northern Australia David Littleproud said the annual awards recognise those making vital contributions to protecting our enviable biosecurity status.
“The Australian Biosecurity Awards shine a light on our biosecurity champions to recognise those working tirelessly to maintain and improve Australia’s biosecurity,” Minister Littleproud said.
“The risks to our plant, animal and human health, and financial losses in key agricultural industries, could be devastating if an exotic pest or disease like African swine fever, khapra beetle or brown marmorated stink bug were to establish here.
“Mail and cargo volumes are forecast to continue to increase over the next decade, and with international flights recommencing, there is potential for biosecurity risks to move closer to our shores.
“I recently launched Commonwealth Biosecurity 2030, the latest step in responding to a rapidly changing environment to ensure we have the tools, systems and networks in place to manage current and future threats.
“As we reflect on these challenges and opportunities, it’s important to recognise the crucial efforts of our biosecurity champions.
“This year’s nominations included those working on the front line to respond to outbreaks or manage feral animals, to those innovating to improve biosecurity systems.
“Congratulations to our 2021 winners and thank you for your valuable contributions to Australia’s biosecurity.”
For more information about the Australian Biosecurity Awards and biographies of all 2021 winners visit here.
Dr David Banks Biosecurity Lifetime Achievement Award
- Dr John Virtue
Dr Kim Ritman Award for Science and Innovation
- Ms Sarah Corcoran
Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year Award
- Pohlmans Nursery (Qld)
- Queensland Port Authorities and Biosecurity Queensland
- Agriculture Victoria
- Social Platforms Regulatory Awareness and Engagement group, Biosecurity Queensland
Environmental Biosecurity Award
- Anindilyakwa Land Council Land and Sea Rangers and South32 GEMCO (NT)
- South Coast Natural Resource Management Inc. (WA)
- GMV Fruit Fly Area Wide Management Program (Vic)
- Urban Plant Health Network, Agriculture Victoria (Vic)
- Associate Professor Kim Plummer
Biosecurity Commendation Certificates
- Dr Cherie Gambley
- Dr Satendra Kumar
- EcoDNA Group
- Mr Tim Farry
- Idealview Dairy
- Ms Hanneke Parish
- Ms Pam Kent