Six non-executive directors have been appointed to work with cotton growers on the long-term growth and prosperity of the cotton industry.
Minister for Agriculture, Drought and Emergency Management, David Littleproud, said the new Cotton Research and Development Corporation (CRDC) non-executive directors commenced their three-year terms on 1 October 2020.
“Australia’s cotton industry is resilient—cotton growers are known for their willingness to adopt research outcomes,” minister Littleproud said.
“Strategic investment in research, innovation, knowledge-creation and transfer will ensure the industry is well placed for future challenges.
“CRDC invests in critical research, development and extension for the profitability and sustainability of the cotton industry and to benefit the wider community.
“A key part of this is the ambitious goal of creating $2 billion in additional gross value of cotton production through investments.
“I am very pleased to note that the new board will continue to reflect the Government’s commitment to ensuring gender balance on government boards—with three women and three men being appointed.
“The new appointments will help Australia’s cotton industry reach this goal as well as being paramount to realising the priorities highlighted in CRDC’s Research, Development and Extension (RD&E) Plan for 2018–2023.
“I also want to take this opportunity to thank outgoing directors for the leadership, skills and expertise they brought to CRDC’s operation during their appointments.”
- Among the six persons appointed, there are two reappointments and four new appointees.
- Newly appointed CRDC board members:
- Professor Les Copeland AM – Emeritus Professor of Agriculture, University of Sydney; New South Wales (reappointment)
- Ms Rosemary Richards – Director, Bowman Richards and Associates;
- New South Wales (reappointment)
- Mr Ross Burnett – Director, Barwin Agriculture; Queensland (new appointment)
- Dr Gary Fitt – Honorary Fellow, CSIRO Health and Biosecurity; Queensland (new appointment)
- Dr Danielle Kennedy – Partner and Portfolio and Innovation Manager, DDSN Interactive; Victoria (new appointment)
- Ms Peta Slack-Smith – Director, Resolve Corporate Affairs Consulting; Victoria (new appointment).
- Outgoing directors are:
- Ms Kathryn Adams – 20 October 2014 to 30 September 2020
- Mrs Liz Alexander – 20 October 2014 to 30 September 2020
- Dr Jeremy Burdon – 1 October 2017 to 30 September 2020
- Mr Greg Kauter – 20 October 2014 to 30 September 2020