- The National Agricultural Workforce Strategy report has been released.
- A new Roadmap has also been launched outlining the government’s vision for the sector and next steps.
- Developing human capital will be key to delivering the Government’s Ag2030 plan over the medium to long-term.
The Australian Government has released the National Agricultural Labour Advisory Committee’s report – National Agricultural Workforce Strategy: Learning to excel, together with a Roadmap to attract, retain, upskill and modernise the agricultural workforce.
Minister for Agriculture, Drought and Emergency Management David Littleproud said the Roadmap addresses the main themes raised in the National Agricultural Workforce Strategy report submitted to the government in late December by the independent National Agricultural Labour Advisory Committee.
“The Roadmap outlines the government’s vision for the sector and broadly outlines the next steps for taking the roadmap themes forward,” Minister Littleproud said.
“It also sets out the actions the government has taken over the past 12 months to address the immediate workforce needs of our agricultural sector as a result of the impacts of COVID-19.
“The strategy report examined issues from education and industrial relations to technological innovation and supply chains.
“Many of the report’s 37 recommendations require collaboration with different levels of government, co-design with industry and delivery in partnership with a wide range of stakeholders.
“With the strategy report and the Roadmap released, the government will undertake targeted consultation with industry and state and territory governments, to ensure all parties are just as committed as the Australian Government to a highly skilled agricultural workforce.
“The development of a fit-for-purpose workforce for our farming sector is part of the Australian Government’s Ag2030 plan in support of industry’s $100 billion target by 2030.
“The Government will respond to the Strategy report in the coming months and the meantime we will continue to address the immediate needs of our farmers for workers.”
“I’d like to thank the National Agricultural Labour Advisory Committee, in particular the Chair, Mr John Azarias, for the work they have put into developing the Strategy Report for government.”
Copies of the strategy report and Roadmap are available at http://agriculture.gov.au/ag-farm-food/agricultural-workforce
- The National Agricultural Workforce Strategy report was developed by the independent National Agricultural Labour Advisory Committee.
- The strategy report was informed by comprehensive consultation with more than 300 stakeholders including industry bodies, agricultural experts, businesses, unions and education organisations.
- The 2019-20 Budget committed $1.9 million over four years for the development of the strategy report.
- The strategy report aims to ensure farmers have access to a fit-for-purpose workforce into the future and recommends steps for improving the attraction, retention and skill development of the agricultural workforce.