- 2021 Science and Innovation Awards grants now open
- Up to $220,000 for young people in agriculture, fisheries and forestry
- Individual grants of up to $22,000 across multiple categories
A $220,000 grants program for the sharpest young minds in agriculture, fisheries and forestry opens today.
Minister for Agriculture David Littleproud said the 2021 Science and Innovation Awards would help bring the next generation of big ideas to life, with projects sought from 18-35 year old researchers, scientists, innovators and others active in the agriculture sector.
“2020 has made one thing clear: there’s no shortage of complex challenges facing this nation and our national agriculture, fisheries and forestry sectors,” Minister Littleproud said.
“The blueprints for success, however, are simple: work hard, work smart and invest in the next generation.
“That’s why the Australian Government is funding individual grants of up to $22,000 across 10 categories to develop the best new ideas in the industry.
“Last year’s Ministerial award winner, Dr Meagan Craven from Deakin University, was recognised for her project investigating whether pigeon milk can combat Salmonella outbreaks on Australian egg farms.
“This project is a great example of innovation and applying different solutions to current industry issues. I can’t wait to see what’s next!”
For more information and to apply visit www.awe.gov.au/scienceawards.
- Applications close at 5pm AEST Friday 2 October 2020.
- Since they were launched in 2001, the Science and Innovation Awards have helped 261 young researchers, innovators and scientists turn their ideas into reality with just over $4 million in grant funding.
- 10 industry award categories are available in the 2021 round, with each winner to receive a grant of up to $22,000 (including GST).
Award partners and categories include:
|Eggs and poultry (layers)||Australian Eggs|
|Red meat processing||Australian Meat Processor Corporation|
|Wool||Australian Wool Innovation|
|Cotton||Cotton Research and Development Corporation|
|Biosecurity and digital innovation||CSIRO Biosecurity digital innovation|
|Forest and wood products||Forest & Wood Products Australia|
|Grains||Grains Research and Development Corporation|
|Meat and livestock||Meat & Livestock Australia|
|Viticulture and oenology||Wine Australia|